We’ve all heard these wonderful stories about how one person pays for coffee for the person behind them at the drive-thru.
Then that person does the same for the person behind them and the chain of kindness continues.
As recently as last week, a young couple on Arlington in Livermore helped a woman free her sweater from her bike chain. Later that morning, she posted a public thank you note on Livermore Patch.
Last May in Dublin, students at Dublin Elementary were surprised by "Awesome Day," complete with rainbow streamers and positive messages of hope when they arrived at school. Read the full article here.
Just days before, a sighting of anonymous words of encouragement in the form of two mystery paintings with notes handwritten on the back where left alongside trails delighted hikers at the Augustin Bernal Park in Pleasanton.
[Related article: Mystery Messages of Hope Left Along Pleasanton Trail]
Today — Thursday, April 24 — is Pay It Forward Day.
If you’re looking for other inspiring ideas, check these out!
- Pay for someone’s gas at the pump.
- Post notes for people on bathroom mirrors or in random places that say things like “You are beautiful” or “Thanks for being you!”
- Visit someone who’s lonely or homebound.
- Write nice statements on the sidewalk in chalk.
- Leave flowers on someone’s doorstep with a note explaining Pay It Forward Day.
- Send flowers to a random room at your local hospital.
- When you receive great customer service, tell that person’s manager/boss how awesome they are.
- Bring a bunch of bubbles to a local playground.
- Rescue an animal from a shelter and if you can’t do that, consider donating money to one or bringing much-needed items.
- Scared of spiders? Instead of squishing one, usher the eight-legged critter outside!
- Do an impromptu can drive at work and bring collected items to the local food bank.
- Build a bat house or adopt a beehive.
Kindness doesn’t have to stop when the sun sets on Pay it Forward Day! Some of these ideas may require some planning or special circumstances, like this first suggestion:
- On a rainy day, buy a handful of inexpensive umbrellas and hand them out to people who get caught in the rain without one.
- Find a local museum or attraction you’ve always wanted to visit and ask them if they need any volunteers.
- Go to a used bookstore or library and tuck sentimental notes in the books. Kindness Girl suggests some good ones:
- You are meant for adventure!
- Everything is going to be great!
- The magic is in you!
- Diner Drops $1K Gratuity at Pleasanton Tip-A-Cop Fundraiser
- Why Are Residents Hanging White Bows Around Dublin?
- How One High School Junior is 'Giving Women a Reason to Feel Valuable'
- Livermore Homeless Refuge Says Thank You to Third Grader Who Donated Sleeping Bags
- 10-Year-Old Says 'Homeless People Need Valentines Too'
- Bereaved Mother Replaces Memorial Stone for Boy Killed at…
- High School Student Holds Blood Drive in Honor of Heart Donation That Saved His Life
- Photos: Breezy's Bedroom Makeover Reveal
- Superhero Seamstress
- Firefighters, Police Officers, Cal High Staff & Students Shave Bald in Support of 5-Year-Old Cancer Survivor
- San Ramon Valley High Schoolers.... Along with Patch Editors....Take a Plunge to Raise $40,000
How do you plan on paying it forward?
Were you a Pay It Forward Day recipient? What kindness did you experience?