Know a local business that has made philanthropy a priority? One that has promoted sustainable environmentalism as a business practice? Had an impact on the community?
Since 1964, hundreds of individuals and businesses have been the recipients of the Community Service Awards presented by the . This year's winners will be honored at the chamber's annual Community Service Awards and Dinner on Jan. 28 at the Pleasanton Marriott Hotel.
"In the 1960s, a lot of development and growth was happening in Pleasanton and the chamber decided to recognize individuals and businesses doing great things in the community" Wendy Gutshall, manager of communications and special events, said of the event's beginnings.
One of the first recipients was Scholastic magazine, which at the time was located in Pleasanton. Scholastic was honored for launching Scholastic Scope®; a magazine for struggling readers.
There are five award categories for recognition:
- Business Philanthropy Award: For businesses that have provided philanthropic service beyond the scope of normal business activity.
- Excellence in Business Award: For businesses that have had a positive impact on the Pleasanton community through their achievement within the scope of normal business activity.
- Excellence in Service Award: For nonprofit organizations that have contributed to Pleasanton.
- Distinguished Individual Service Award: For individuals who have contributed to Pleasanton through exceptional service to the community or philanthropic efforts.
- Green Business Award: Introduced this year, this category is for businesses that promote sustainable environmental business practices throughout their organization for the benefit of employees, customers or the community.
Chamber members and residents of Pleasanton can make nominations, which are being accepted until Dec. 31. Nomination forms are available online or at chamber offices at 777 Peters Ave.