From the Livermore Pleasanton Fire Department:
On February 8, 2013, the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department (LPFD) responded to a hazardous materials leak at the intersection of Wyoming Street and Washington Street in Pleasanton. The call was received at 4:38 p.m. and LPFD responded with one fire engine arriving on scene within five minutes. Upon arrival, the LPFD crew found a mid-size delivery truck that was carrying an
First arriving firefighters created a dam to prevent the acid from contaminating the storm drain and requested the Battalion Chief and Hazardous Materials unit to respond to the scene. Firefighters made a hazardous materials entry into the truck to stop the active leak by repositioning the battery. The entry was a “Level B” entry where firefighters wear self contained breathing apparatus, a chemical
resistant splash suit, rubber boots and rubber gloves. The LPFD was able to contain the leak to the truck and the adjacent gutter. Wyoming Street was closed between Washington Street and Utah Street for approximately 45 minutes while fire crews made the hazardous materials entry.
Contact was made with the battery and the truck owners at the scene, and a private hazardous materials clean-up contractor from Oakland was requested by the owners to complete the clean up and handle the disposal. Fire crews remained on scene until their arrival at 7:00 p.m.
Two members of the public were exposed to the acid and performed self-decontamination. No members of the public or firefighters reported any injuries. There was never any threat to the public. No orders for evacuation or shelter in-place were given.