A pricey baseball-card collection was swiped in one of the numerous burglaries and thefts fielded last week by the Pleasanton Police Department.
On Wednesday evening, homeowners on the 1100 block of Hopkins Way reported their $400 soda-fountain machine was taken during a residential break-in, along with their baseball-card collection valued at $20,000, files state.
The burglary occurred between 8:30 a.m. and 5:15 p.m., according to police logs, with access possibly gained through an unlocked door.
And on a cheerier note, the police department this week launches its annual "Giving Tree" program collecting donated gifts for the community's needy.
Citizens can stop by the Bernal Avenue station and choose a "gift tag wish" -- for a child, teen, senior or family -- and then bring the wrapped presents back to police headquarters by the Dec. 14 deadline.
The tags include recipients' ages, sex and their Christmas wishes.
Among this year's requests: a senior citizen hoping for a cardigan; a toddler in need of pajamas; an 11-year-old boy asking for tennis shoes; and a girl, 12, longing for nail polish and makeup.
The gift drive is sponsored by the Pleasanton Police Officers Association Charitable Foundation at police headquarters, 4833 Bernal Ave.
Last year's Giving Tree program serviced 13 needy families and 20 elderly residents from Pleasanton.
In other area police news:
Saturday, Nov. 24
- Motorist arrested for supected driving under the influence along 2300 Crestline Road at 12:21 a.m.
- Double drunk-and-disorderly arrest of two males, 12:04 a.m. on the 300 block of St. Mary Street.
Friday, Nov. 23
- Female arrested for alleged forgery and burglary on 1 Stoneridge Mall Road 8 a.m.
- Shoplifting reported 2:38 p.m. and 8:54 p.m. on the 1500 and 2300 blocks of Stoneridge Mall Road.
- Theft logged 4:40 p.m. on 4900 Canary Drive.
- DUI arrest of male 3:15 p.m. along 4400 Willow Road.
- Male arrested 7:15 p.m. for suspected grand theft on 18000 Meekland Avenue.
- Warrant arrest made 5:10 p.m. on 4800 Bernal Avenue.
- Theft arrest made 3:27 a.m. of suspect on 2100 Stoneridge Mall Road.
- Multi-car accident on I-580 near El Charro Road 11:30 a.m.
Thursday, Nov. 22
- Drunk-and-disorderly arrests included: male, 12:13 a.m., 1800 Santa Rita Road; male, 1:36 a.m. on 4300 Valley Avenue; male, 9:38 p.m., 4200 First Street.
- Bicycle theft reported 1:59 p.m. along 1300 Hopyard Road.
- Vandalism cited 11:27 p.m. on 1300 Stoneridge Mall Road.
- Criminal threats reported on the 6000 block of Corte Encinas at 9:07 p.m.
- DUI arrest of male, 2:29 a.m. on Mohr Avenue at Greenwood Road.
Wednesday, Nov. 21
- Male arrested 12:03 a.m. along 3600 Andrews Drive for suspected domestic battery.
- Stolen vehicle recovered 9:54 a.m. along 5600 Sunol Boulevard.
- Residential burglary reported 6:24 p.m. on the 1100 block of Hopkins Way.
- Female arrested for alleged public intoxication 10:47 p.m. on 5500 West Las Positas Boulevard.
- Shoplifting reported 4:13 p.m. on 1500 Stoneridge Mall Road.
- Jackknifed big rig 4:44 a.m. on I-580.
- Vehicle reported stolen 2 a.m. on the 27300 block of Palomares Road, west of Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park.
Tuesday, Nov. 20
- Double drug arrest 1 a.m. along 7700 Canyon Meadows Circle: male for suspected marijuana and methamphetamine possession; female for alleged meth/paraphernalia possession.
- Residential burglary reported 9:43 a.m. on 7500 Driftwood Way.
- Female arrested 2:37 p.m. for alleged shoplifting along 4500 Rosewood Drive; another shoplifting -- 5:29 p.m., 1500 Stoneridge Mall Road.
- Car break-in 12:26 p.m. on 7600 Canyon Meadows Circle.
- Fire on Corte Del Vista damages utility meters.
- Male arrested 12:18 a.m. for suspected DUI plus probation violation for prior DUI on 5500 West Las Positas Boulevard.
- Unlicensed motorist cited 9:15 a.m. on 6400 Owens Drive, plus refusal to obey officer.
- DUI reported 8:41 a.m. on Stanley Boulevard near quarry entrance by the Alameda County Sheriff's Office.
- 9 p.m.
- Holiday safety tips from police.
Monday, Nov. 19
- Three graffiti/vandalism reports: 10:41 a.m. on 5800 Parkside Drive; 12:10 p.m. on 4300 Black Avenue; 12:33 p.m. along 600 Junipero Street.
- Car break-in 10:53 p.m. on 4700 Willow Road; lock punch used on vehicle door.
- Burglary reported 8:32 a.m. along 1000 Serpentine Lane.
- Theft logged 7:40 a.m. on 4400 Black Avenue.
- Drunk-and-disorderly arrest made of male 7:53 a.m. on 5500 Springdale Avenue.
- , found with missing teen, 16.
Sunday, Nov. 18
- Commercial burglary reported 10:48 p.m. on 7000 Commerce Drive.
- Double warrant arrest: male and female 3:05 a.m. on Black Avenue at Hopyard Road.
- Drunk-and-disorderly arrest made 1:06 a.m. of male on 4100 Hopyard Road.
- Pleasanton male, 23, arrested 2:25 a.m. on Stoneridge Drive at Santa Rita Road for suspected DUI.
- Bicycle theft reported 9:06 p.m. on 2500 Santa Rita Road.
- Vandalism cited 4:45 a.m. along 50 California Avenue.
- Theft filed 5:58 p.m. on 4700 Willow Road.