Residents in Contra Costa County and the Fremont area were targets last week of new telephone scams, according to regional law enforcement.
The Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office is warning residents about a suspect posing as a sheriff's deputy who scams people into sending him money, a sheriff's spokesman said.
During the calls, the suspect identifies himself as "Lt. Stevens," claims there is a warrant for the person's arrest and requests money over the phone via prepaid credit cards to clear the warrant, sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
"A number of people have fallen for the scam and sent money to this individual," Lee said, adding no one named Lt. Stevens works at the sheriff's office, which does not request payments to clear arrest warrants over the phone.
Anyone who receives this type of call is advised not to give out personal information and to contact police.
In the Fremont area, meanwhile, several residents contacted police last week regarding another telephone scam possibly targeting the South Asian Indian community, according to theFremont Police Department.
In all cases, the victims were called from a 202 area-code number by suspects identifying themselves as the IRS and telling the residents they owe approximately $9,000. Subjects are threatened with arrest or having their Visas or passports revoked if they do not pay through a money exchange or wire service.
In all cases, the callers instruct victims to get a GreenDot MoneyPak — a card that allows customer to reload prepaid cards, add money to PayPal accounts and make payments to companies without using a bank account.
In other area crime news:
Sunday, Sept. 8
- Pleasanton woman, 46, arrested 10:12 p.m. on the 800 block of Bonde Court for alleged violation of protective/restraining order.
- Arrests made for suspected domestic violence: 3:38 a.m. of Livermore male, 37, on the 5100 block of Hopyard Road; Pleasanton female, 52, 2:19 a.m. on the 4100 block of Moller Drive.
- Fire on Mount Diablo.
- Flood on Stoneridge Mall Road.
- Triple public-intoxication arrest 9:44 p.m. on the 400 block of Main Street: two Pleasanton women, 50 and 43; San Jose male, 61.
- Pleasanton man, 50, arrested 12:17 p.m. along 5600 West Las Positas Boulevard for alleged violation of a restraining order.
- Oakland man, 38, and Alameda woman, 41, cited for separate suspected thefts 5:05 p.m. and 10:10 p.m. on 1300 Stoneridge Mall Road.
- Forgery and check fraud arrest of Hayward female, 24, at 5:13 p.m. along 5700 Stoneridge Mall Road.
- Assaults reported: 12:51 a.m. on 300 St. Mary Street; 12:58 p.m. along 5800 Parkside Drive; 8:30 p.m. on Clubhouse Drive and Westbridge Lane.
- Six cars catch fire at Livermore outlets.
- Big rig fire on I-580 offramp.
- Stolen vehicle recovered 11:14 p.m. on 4500 Rosewood Drive.
- Bicycle theft: 12:38 p.m. on 5600 Stoneridge Drive.
- Vandalism: 9:39 a.m. along 5700 Owens Drive.
- Fraud filed 9:24 a.m. on 4500 block of Pleasanton Avenue.
- Drunk-and-disorderly arrest of Pleasanton male, 26, 1:08 a.m. on 1800 Santa Rita Road.
- Pleasanton man, 21, arrested 1:34 a.m. for suspected use/influence of controlled substances on the 3200 block of Chardonnay Drive.
- San Ramon man, 28, arrested for suspected possession of methamphetamine and burglary tools 9:47 p.m. along 6000 Johnson Drive.
- Livermore female, 32, cited for driving on suspended license Santa Rita Road at Valley Avenue at 10:55 p.m.
- Livermore pediatrician killed in car accident.
- Hunter's illegal fire blamed for rim fire in Sierras.
- Car break-ins reported 8:31 a.m., 2:47 p.m. and 3:58 p.m. on Commerce Circle.
- Fraud cases filed: 4:40 p.m. on 4800 Bernal Avenue; 5:52 p.m. on 4000 block of Rennellwood Way.
- DUI arrest of Tracy man, 26, 2:45 a.m. on 4800 Bernal Avenue.
- Drunk-and-disorderly arrest of Pleasanton man, 27, 11:12 p.m. on 4300 Valley Avenue.
- Pleasanton male, 19, cited 7:17 p.m. on Stoneridge Mall Road for alleged possession of drug paraphernalia and marijuana.
- Warrant arrest 12:27 p.m. Santa Rita Road at Valley Avenue.
- Warrant arrests: 2:49 p.m. on 6800 Santa Rita Road; 5:53 a.m. on 4300 Valley Avenue.
- Pleasanton male, 50, arrested for suspected domestic assault 5:07 p.m. on the 4300 block of Davila Avenue.
- Bicycle thefts: 1:51 p.m. on 1700 Santa Rita Road; 12:42 p.m. along 2600 Trevor Parkway.
- Car break-in reported 8:34 a.m. on 7700 Creekside Drive.
- Graffiti reported 10:36 a.m. on Clubhouse Drive at Westbridge Lane.
- Fraud cases filed: 6:14 p.m. on the 9500 block of Macdonald Court; 11:21 a.m. on California Avenue.
- Domestic battery reported 5:07 p.m. on the 5200 block of Riverdale Court.
- Public intoxication arrests: Pleasanton man, 49, 10:20 a.m. on 7600 Canyon Meadows Circle; Castroville female, 51, 3:50 a.m. on 4500 Chabot Drive.
- Livermore woman, 29, arrested Isabel and Vineyard avenues 12:28 a.m. for allegedly giving false identification to police and credit/debit fraud.
- San Jose male, 32, arrested for felony DUI causing injury at 12:07 a.m. Location unavailable.
- Car break-ins: 3:21 p.m. on 1000 Stoneridge Mall Road; 8:23 a.m. on 5600 Stoneridge Drive.
- Warrant arrest 5:53 a.m. on 4300 Valley Avenue.
- Commercial burglary reported 2:34 a.m. on 6700 Bernal Avenue.
- Pleasanton male, 47, arrested 3:33 a.m. on South Main Street in Walnut Creek for suspected domestic assault.
- Warrant arrest of male, 23, 7:47 p.m. along 4100 First Street.
- Public intoxication arrest of Livermore male, 36, on the 3400 block of Windsor Court.
- Domestic battery reported 2:09 a.m. on the 6800 block of Vale Court.
- Vehicle reported stolen 5:30 p.m. along 3800 Appian Street.
- Shoplifting reported on 1400 Stoneridge Mall Road 4:41 p.m.
- Double arrest near Rheem Drive business for suspected burglary.
- Drunk-and-disorderly arrest of Pleasanton man, 40, 6:45 a.m. along 3800 Vine Street.
- Pleasanton male, 33, arrested for suspected burglary and stolen property on the 1100 block of Finch Place 8:06 a.m.
- Livermore male, 25, cited for warrant St. John and Main streets 8:42 p.m.
- Assault reported 10:50 p.m. on the 700 block of Sycamore Road.
- Car break-ins: 12:26 p.m. on 5200 Case Avenue; 12:07 p.m. on 7300 Stonedale Avenue; 7:16 p.m. on Stoneridge Mall Road; 10:58 a.m. on 5100 Corona Court.
- Stolen vehicle recovered 4:14 p.m. along 3600 Andrews Drive.
- Burglary reported 7:16 p.m. on 1000 Stoneridge Mall Road.
- Vandals in Livermore shoot windows of 30-plus cars.